In response the to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Lake Winnipeg Indigenous Collective remains committed to the health and safety of our communities, employees and supporters.
The collective will be following recommendations from the World Health Organization and the province of Manitoba by postponing all in person meetings, presentations and community visits until further notice. We will be working from home and are available by email or phone. We do anticipate some disruption in response times, but will respond as soon as we are able.
We are reminded in times like these that many First Nation communities are vulnerable from chronic underfunding and inadequate access to resources to endure a pandemic like COVID-19. We believe that caution is important to ensure the safety of people who are more vulnerable than ourselves. Protect yourself and your community by washing your hands frequently, limiting physical contact and face-to-face meetings (social distancing), listening to the messages from our Elders, and staying up-to-date with credible information.
If you want to learn more about the virus in Manitoba, we recommend visiting the following websites:
- Province of Manitoba news releases (look for Novel Coronavirus [COVID-19] bulletins)
- World Health Organization Canada COVID-19 outbreak
- Government of Canada COVID-19: Being prepared
- Indigenous Climate Action – Resources for Indigenous peoples during COVID-19
- COVID-19: Indigenous Services Canada Update
Wishing you good health.